Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The Journey pt. 1





I thought university would leave me feeling like there was a big profound change in my life. I thought on move in day my parents would cry and tell me how much they’re going to miss me. I thought they would call me every day and check up on me. When I skyped them, I expected tears as well.

But none of this happened. My parents left, sad, but not hysterical. Instead of going on and on about how they were going to miss me they told me how proud they were and how they knew I was going to do well here. They text me now and again to see what I’m up to. And there are definitely no tears on Skype.

On that first day I simply set up my new room and started my new life.

I suppose I’m sitting here at 4:26am writing this because I’m worried about my cognitive science midterm this Friday. I also had an energy drink and a tea at 9:00pm, but Patti doesn’t need to know that. I thought it would be helpful for me to reflect on my journey so far here at Queen’s in order to calm my nerves and hopefully get some precious sleep.

On my first day there was so much going through my mind. When my parents left, I felt absolutely alone – it was so terrifying but so great at the same time! I was finally moving out. There is no one here to tell me to clean my room or to eat healthy or to do my homework (although I do all three regularly). We had a floor meeting where we got to know the people we would be living with for the next 8 months. You always try to pick out who you think your friends are going to be. And to be honest, I was right about my choices. Because I love everyone on my floor. Granted I am not best friends with everyone, each person adds a certain dynamic that just could not be recreated with any other group of people.

We do so much as a floor. We have floor dinners every week. There have been water fights, nerf gun fights and prank wars. There’s nothing I love more than heading down to the pier and jumping in with all my friends – although it’s getting a little chilly now! We also participated in the Leonard-Gord-Brock soccer tournament… and WON! We had one of the biggest teams and not to mention the biggest cheering section. It was a great bonding experience and just showed how much we all support each other. Next event we plan to conquer – the Leonard Bowl tournament! Got our t-shirts ready and everything.

I could have never even imagined how absolutely amazing my first six weeks would turn out to be here at school.

Frosh week was… interesting. Surprisingly not as crazy as I had expected. I did have to go to the hospital, not for the reason you would think. I got stung by a bee… on my tongue. There’s pictures and everything. It was quite the ordeal. I got to meet some new people. A couple of the girls from my frosh group are in some of my classes and we talk often. I also won a $600 teeth whitening package from the dentist office downtown! Turns out it was absolutely painful and didn’t actually get my teeth that white, but a good story none the less. We got to learn an awesome, and very confusing, dance to ‘Animal’ by Neon Trees. I don’t think there could have been a more appropriate song to make me feel more at home. Whenever I hear the song I always think of Bonnaroo and what an awesome time I had with my friends Taylor, Jonathan and Jess. The song really helped me tie in my life back home with my new life here at Queen’s.

Having Will through this whole process made my life so much better. From the time I applied to university right up until move in day, he had been there for me. So it was a little intimidating conquering frosh week without him there. Of course I dominated, with only some minor incidences (refer to bee sting story) and managed to impress everyone with my extensive knowledge of the Oil Thigh.

We went to our first football game together last weekend. It was against Western! And of course we kicked their ass. It was a really great afternoon. We cuddled, I got overly aggressive and drunk as usual, and we had nachos back at his place with his roommate Sam and his girlfriend Erica. It was nice to hang out with another couple for a change. They don’t boo you when you hold hands or peck each other onthe cheek. Which I guess leads nicely into my next topic – my friends J

Erica, Jenna, and Nicole are my closest friends here. We do everything together. We laugh, we cry, we casually watch wedding videos and drink bottles of wine together. It is so nice to have friends who will drop whatever they're doing and be by your side. Erica is always there, Jenna can always make you laugh and Nicole always has good advice. I feel very blessed to have connected with these girls so quickly. They are part of the reason I feel like I belong here.

Stefan (the greatest guy onour floor), Erica and I are bar buddies. We’re the only oneson the floor who are 19, so we always go out together and have a few casual mini pitchers together at the Brass. One of my favourite memories is just lying on a lawn at 3am, looking up at the sky, holding Stefan and Erica’s hands, dying of laughter and just being so absolutely filled with bliss. The only thing I could think at that moment was that I belong here. On that lawn, with those people and here at Queen’s.

There have just been so many moments that made me stop and think that this school was absolutely the right choice for me.

Classes have been going great. I was quite nervous coming into university, everyone tells you how hard it is going to be and what a huge adjustment is it. I feel as though my victory lap really helped prepare me for this year. I had the chance to really talk to my teachers and I learned more about how to be a successful student in that one semester than in my entire high school career. So far, I have been doing quite well in all my classes and seem to absorb most content easily as well. Queen’s is not this big, scary, heartless institution that everyone makes universities seem like. There are so many resources if you need help, I rarely feel stuck or like I’m ‘just a number’. One thing my parents always taught me is that life is all about the relationships you make. So I’ve been talking to everyone – my professors, my TAs, other students, even the staff around campus. Building these relationships has made my experience so far that much more enjoyable.

I am hoping to get more involved in the winter semester now that I have my schedule and work load figured out. There is so much to get involved with! Looking at all the clubs and teams during frosh week was a little overwhelming but now I know I want to get as involved as possible and try some new things. I was hired at a student store called Tricolour. It is located on campus and sells clothing, books and travel tickets. It is completely student run – which is another thing I really love about Queen’s. I had my training on Sunday and my first shift is tomorrow! Everyone seems extremely friendly and eager to answer any questions. So hopefully all goes well. It is always stressful starting a new job. But I am so exciting to have this opportunity and plan on making the most of it.

My first six weeks at Queen’s have been unreal. There is just too much to put into one revised blog. I always thought I would have this insightful moment, standing in my room or looking up University Ave., where I finally realized that this is the next big step in my life, where I would have a hard time taking it all in. But it never happened, Queen’s has been my home since the first day I arrived and I haven't looked back.

1 comment:

  1. It looks like you're settling into uni life there perfectly! Enjoy it! :)

    Also, after reading your blog. I went back to my old livejournal and looked at my entry from the first day at Mac... http://twitchyq.livejournal.com/2003/08/30/

    Pretty entertaining. :)

    ReplyDelete