Thursday, March 4, 2010

The Basics

Getting up this morning was absolutely dreadful. I haven't been sleeping lately and of course the consequence of lack of sleep is exhaustion. On top of being exhausted, having religion first doesn't help motivate me to hop out of bed and yell good morning world!! I've been in my classes for about a month now. For the first couple weeks my religion teacher thought I was a genius. But then some "poor decisions" were made and all of a sudden my friends and I are bad people. I'm sorry but being a religion teacher, isn't it a bright idea to teach your students, be ethically sound and forgive us?! All we did was make a group with more than 5 people, relax. Needless to say, you can tell when a teacher loses my respect because my attendance seriously declines. In the words of this particular teacher it's a good thing I'm an independent learner or I would be in trouble.

My writers craft teacher on the other hand I don't I think will ever lose respect for. I already knew he was annoying. The man can talk for an hour and fifteen minutes about nothing!! In his own way though he's a genius and very encouraging when he reads something he thinks is brilliant. Today we had a writer come into our class, who is going to be with us every Friday. I haven't gathered my impression of her yet, seems cool enough. We did a "free fall writing" activity with her. It is where you just write for a period of time with no reservations, no editing in your head, which we so often do. To add some structure she added the title, "Inside the Fridge". This is what I came up with:

Almost as cold as the winter wind that screams across my face.
Like looking aimlessly a million times for something that isn't there.
Love can be empty and in stock less often than milk.
It can hide behind jars of sweet, sticky jam.

Hopefully you find it, especially after a long day.
If possible share it, after it was warmed up.
Because warm it has a completely different taste,
Kind but not artificially sweet,
Hopeful but not ripe.

Inside the fridge you look for satisfaction.

So yeah. That's where I got in my ten minutes. Poetry is something I've always wanted to be good at so hopefully having this class will help me develop all my crazy ideas into something beautiful.

The rest of the day went by quickly, thank goodness. It was soooo nice out today. The sun makes me dream of the summer and everything it means this year. Graduation, working at my favourite place in the world (hopefully), and all of the basic things summer brings. It is like the epitome of freedom and I love it.

I would have to say Thursdays are one of my favourite days. After a long day of school it's just great to go to my dance studio and be around people I love. Dance is probably the biggest inspiration in my life. This is my 5th year dancing at my studio and my first year on the senior competitive team. I never realized I could love something so much. Watching all the seniors before me, I worked so hard to be part of this team, they were so amazing. But being on it is a whole different experience. Our dances this year are incredible. I don't get tired of doing them, ever. Overall my favourite part of dancing is our improv sessions. Our coach puts on a song and we just dance. It's the most crazy, exposing, intimate experience. You are exposing everything you feel, but at the same time being so inside your head and your emotions that it's such a personal thing. At first it was a truly terrifying thing. Not having a strong dance vocabulary and being super self conscious makes dancing in front of people hard. But watching other people and taking class all year has really helped me start to develop my own style. I'm still no where near where I want to be, but everything takes time.

Tomorrow is Friday!!!! I'm overly excited for another great weekend. I get to spend some chill time with some of my closest friends this weekend. My friends from my middle school are some of the funniest people I've ever met. We don't even need to say anything to each other to get a crazy reaction. On the other side of that you know you're close with someone when silence isn't awkward and that's what we have. I love them so much and I am so grateful to still have them in my life!

Truly, all I can do is be grateful for everything I have in my life. I try to show my gratitude every day to the world by smiling at everyone, strangers and friends alike, other little things like that, because people don't realize how much the small things count. Realistically though, I get moody and wear my heart on my sleeve so often that you wouldn't even know how much I truly love life. Oh well, just another thing I'll have to work on I guess!

No comments:

Post a Comment