Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Her dreams were seen all over the world

After a long day of laughing, a small girl climbed into satellite dish to take a nap.Her dreams were seen all over the world. They were fearless and inspiring. Her mother turned on the television and saw her face, it was stunning and glowing - her daughter was dreaming of her. The mother had never seen this radiant face when she looked in the mirror. A young man was taking a break from his three hour lab preparation - wondering if this was all worth it. He turned on the television and saw a little girl dressed in a lab coat tending to an elderly woman. He was reminded of himself as a child, dreaming of the day he would walk around in a lab coat of his own. How often we forget how the world looks to children - beautiful, endless, full of possibilities. How often we forget how much we inspire children and how much they inspire us.

This past March break I was lucky enough to work as a staff for march break camps at my work. We are a different kind of camp because we service children of all needs and abilities. Although the work can be extremely challenging some days, I would not want to work anywhere else. People always tell me how good and patient I must be for working with children who have special needs and how much I must teach them by being with them so much. I do hope I teach them something during my time with them, but in all actuality they teach me so much more and inspire me to see life through their eyes - an adventure.

I worked periodically throughout the week with a child who is a non-verbal child who has fragile X. He loved when I read to him and would grab my face if, god forbid, I stopped. Instead, we worked out the sign language for "read more". It was one of those moments in your life that really effect you, that make you feel like you really can do anything. When I saw him use the sign language with another staff who was reading to him, my heart almost burst into 1000 pieces. It just goes along with my whole "changing the world, one person at a time" thing. These kids always remind me if I'm having a bad day just how much I am capable of doing and that I can change the world.

I was also reminded how fearless children are in their endeavours to conquer the world. They know what they want and are brutally honest about it. At the same time I envy their ability to get lost in a make-believe world they can create in less than 30 seconds and stay suspended there for a ridiculously long amount of time.

How often we forget that we were kids once. We should really follow in their footsteps for many reasons. They can be incredibly upset one moment and completely leave their previous worries behind and move on to being happy again - while most of us have lost our ability to let anything go and let it weight us down constantly in our lives. Also, kids believe in themselves more than anyone in the world. They dream about their future and idolize the adults in their life. A child can change what they want to be every day but say that it is their passion with the same conviction over and over. Everyone should feel the same drive and passion children have for their dreams.

So let children's sincere intentions and actions touch your heart and be inspired, not frustrated!

1 comment:

  1. My dear Carly, you are amazing with the written word :)

    ReplyDelete